Summers not quite over yet – why don’t you get away this month and head down to the Outer Banks of NC?
Ocracoke Island is the kind of place you have to really want to go. To get there, you’ll need to drive all the way south to Hatteras, the bottom of the Outer Banks. From there, you then get on a ferry and ferry your car the next island. But once you are there, you’ll feel like all your worries are a world away.
1718 Brewing: The Essentials
- 1129 Irvin Garrish Hwy, Ocracoke, NC 27960
- Hours: 12-10 Mon-Sat
The brewery opened up in the fall of 2017 and have a great little mission statement on their FB page:
We love fresh, delicious beer and all it represents in our world. We love living on a remote Island accessible only by boat or Plane. We love celebrations: a feast, a surprise, a daring adventure, game-changers. We love the perfect beer on a hot Summer’s day and the perfect beer on a crisp fall evening. We love beach fires, sweaters, flip flops and jeans, oyster roasts and clam bakes and Barrier Islands! We love to keep it simple, yet spectacular! And we love to share!
The year 1718 is particularly infamous for the Outer Banks – it’s the year the pirate Blackbeard died in a Naval battle just off the coast. You can learn more about it here.
Brews to Choose
- The best beer of the trip was a real shocker. Their Brunch Coffee Kolsch was out of this world. I’m a fan of coffee stouts, and it was awesome to get some of that great flavor, but in a beach ready kolsch.
- The Happi Jacq is a solid drinking IPA worth checking out as well.
- On the funkier side, the Notorious FIG was a Hefeweizen worth adding to your flight.
- Finally, the Summer Farmhouse is another perfect beer for a hot beach day.
- Flights come in batches of five! There is also a kitchen on site.
While on Ocracoke
You are on a remote island, but there’s more fun stuff to do!
- Ocracoke Coffee Co – start the day off here while you are waiting for the brewery to open!
- The Pickled Pirate – two of my favorite things! It’s a little shop right next to the coffee shop. We picked up some amazing salsa verde there that took Taco Tuesday to the next level
- Howard’s Pub and Raw Bar – located right next to the brewery. Had everything at 1718 and not ready to stop drinking? Head there! They also have a solid NC pork BBQ and great peel and eat shrimp.
Until next time, Best Brews!