I’ve been drinking my way through Portland, Oregon for the last four years and Hopworks Urban Brewery (aka HUB) is probably the biggest of the local breweries I had not visited yet. What was I waiting for?!
Hopworks Urban Brewery: The Essentials
- 3947 N Williams Ave, Portland, OR 97227
- Sunday -Thursday: 11AM – 11PM
Friday -Saturday: 11AM – Midnight
Hopworks has two locations in Portland and one in neighboring Vancouver. I hit up the Bikebar location, which is located in the trendy Boise neighborhood. As you may imagine, the place is decorated with bicycle parts. It’s a fully functional restaurant in addition to a brewery, and had a pretty happening lunch scene when I visited on a Thursday afternoon. Order some food; you’re going to need it. Many of HUB’s beers are 100% organic, and so you can feel good about yourself while drinking yourself silly!
Brews to Choose
When I visited, there were 19 HUB beers on draft. Flights worked in three ways:
- Choose any five
- Get a flight of beers 1-10 (essentially all the year round stuff plus the most popular seasonals)
- Get a flight of beers 1-15 (all the above plus more of the seasonals and limited edition beers)
I’ve never been one for shying away from a challenge, and I went with option #3. I figured, 15 samples isn’t that much, right? Here’s what was delivered to me.
Beautiful, isn’t it? You may be asking yourself, “what is that little side beer?” That’s beer #16. Once the brewer saw that’d I’d ordered the big flight, he came over to talk to me and said,
“It’s great you are trying 1-15, but #16 just tapped and it’s one of my all-time favorites.” And with that, he went and poured me what would be my favorite beer of the day: Morning Vibes, an imperial latte stout.
After finishing the first 16 on the list, I was gifted with samples of 17-19 so that I could properly try everything that they had. What was the best? Aside from the Morning Vibes, here’s what stood out:
- Gear Up – a really nice NW IPA with passionfuit, mango and pineapple
- Yule Only Live Once – described as a “liquid interpretation of Panettone Italian Christmas cake”
- Playcation – a great NE style IPA
- Motherland – I’m always a sucker for a good Russian imperial stout
- Kernza – the most surprising find. Usually not a bit wit guy, but this one was really good!
Next time, we take a brief respite from our west coast adventures to hit up some good spots back in Virginia!